Friday, August 29, 2008

Live, Love Laugh.

Things invented in 1988: doppler radar (invented by Christian Andreas Dopple) Digital Cellular Phones, The abortion pill, and prozac. People who died on August 29th according to history John the baptist was beheaded on the 29th, Brigahm Young died on the 29th and lots of people died in New Orleans because of Hurricane Katrina. People who's birthday is on the 29th John Mcain, Michel Jackson, and Me! So yeah thats part of what I am going to blog about is my birthday which turned out pretty good. I got a call at 12 in the morning from some of my good friends singing happy birthday which cheered me up, and my dad got assigned a talk in church after not having one for 4 years (just to see him break a winning streak of something so small makes my day) and I had a good day at work, so overall it was a great birthday they whole celebration doesnt start until we have everyone around for dinner which is on sunday. I'am now 20, 1 year away for leagaly being able to drink (which isnt important) but it makes me feel somewhat pleased that I can now classify myself as an adult eventhough most of my family still thinks I have the maturity of a child I am an adult now. 2 decades of a happy life and great family.


But my birthday is not the only thing I want to "blog" about. So I'am going to try and make this pretty long, if your in a hurry don't read this! I also wanted to talk about life and everything in it and all the things that make us happy. I once read a great billboard on a camera that said "Money can't buy happiness but it can buy marshmellows which is pretty close" which I totally agree with money can't buy happiness. Happiness is something that is gained through lifes little pleasures as I think of it whether it's staring into the eyes of the little brown eyed boy you call your nephew and realizing that eventhough society classifys him with a disablity he has the ability to make you smile with any action he does, any noise he makes and every step he takes, whenever I look at him I wish we all could be like him finding joy in everything we do (I mean most of us do but not all of us) I can't wait for him to grow up and finally become "mommys little monster" that will soon adapt to the art of escape and mess making of the top shelf, and even then I'm sure he will still bring a smile to all our faces. But the happiness doesnt end there my lovely sister Liz who most of us have began to call our second mom gave birth to a beautiful girl named Aaliyah (she had to make it a tough name to spell) who is growing just as fast as little tyler, she has learned how to make noises with her voice; screaming, yelling you know usual baby noises and has learned the army crawl one of the first abilities taught at the ninja academy. When you look at these two heaven sent angels you see more than just babies you see a great deal of happiness and your going to smile whether you want to or not.

Not only does my sisters children bring me joy but also my sisters every one of them in there own way. Liz with her amazing talent to work hard to help everyone in the family and still be able to take care of her kids. I still remember the days we used to argue over me not going to piano but I still loved her. She is always there for anyone in the family (literally she live across the street). If you ask for her help she will go to the end of the earth to help you. She has married one of the coolest guys in the world Neil Kealamakia, he rides a motorcycle and paintballs how much more awesome can you get... if only he had retractable wings. Becka my amazing sister who I brag about non stop to all my friends that see her picture I mean its so awesome to walk up and be like "my sister is the smartest person on the planet when it comes to anything about the planet" or "my sister can outsmart your sister" and just like liz she is always there for me most weekends we have come up with becka scott bonding moments where we go to the movies and talk, rant, or just joke around about life, she is in 70% of my pictures cause me and her got the self portrait taking gene and love taking pictures of ourselves. Alex is just alex, I wasnt really old enough to care when my older sister liz went through the drama of jr. high and high school but I look at my sister alex and watch her deal with these tough problems and think wow our parents are good at raising, she also makes me smile when she tries to pretend to be a ninja, when she should know ninjas are chosen by destiny. Courtney the youngest of the family she reminds me of my father very observant and punctual wants to be on time to everything which is the opposite of me I believe in the kick back and relax policy, but it is great that she is learning at an young age, she will do great one day I know it. All four of my sisters have taught me alot of what I know today about women which makes me understand them alittle better, also they helped with my smelly problem back in the public school days which I'am thankful for. They are also who I turn to for fashion opinions.

Onto my brother ryan bert downard, now every once and awhile people comment on how my younger bother looks up to me, but I look up to him as well, he seems to be doing alot better in his high school years than me. It took me the longest time to break out of my anti social shell and begin to talk to alot of people but he seems to be making lots of friends, and money as well he has had a job that many would think to be a stupid job but he finds it entertaining to say the least and the way he shakes his sign out there makes my heart smile. I'am pleased that someone else shares a taste in the Faux Hawk style of hair. He is always my duo partner in attacking the family, which just shows how he's got my back like I have his back. He's my younger and only brother I have so we need to stick together just in case the sisters decide to attack at once.
Now all my sisters and my brother and me could not have got to where we all are today if it wasn't for the most amazing parents in the world both unique. I will begin with my dad Brian who, is a genius at technical/mechanical things, the thing that makes me proud to be his son is that he doesnt just fix the broken thing, he has you fix it with him so in turn you learn what is wrong and how to fix it. I get my outdoor gene from him, he does everything he can during every season to have fun outside and he rarely goes alone. He has been there to help me tackle alot of fears, and because of his help I got my eagle scout award. He's the perfect dad for my perfect family, he's like a big kid trapped in an adult body, having fun with everything he does. He shares the love of paintballing with me that not all dads have seemed to like, and eventhough we seem to be bitter rivals in the game we still love each other and have the same amout of experience in the game.

Now onto Wonder mom MaryAnn Fisher Downard the one who went through 6 different births to bring 6 little demon children and raise them to be perfect angels all while cooking, cleaning, going to school, making clothes, shopping for clothes, helping with homework, staying up late to help us with lifes little problems and just being a great mom. She is one of those moms everyone dreams of having. A mom that cares about every little detail of your problem and tries to fix it (I now see where liz gets her genes from) She graduated with from weber state university with 213 credit hours which is just superb (and I now see where becka gets her smarts from) She tolerates everything we do every mess we make and every fight we get into and has never really boiled over and killed any of us. She has been there for my friends when they struggle through school to. She may have killed my best friend in the world but I know it was hard for her, I look at photos of lightning and her together and know that he loved her very much. I see the struggles she has gone through and see how she pushes on and then I strive to be like that. I love the fact that I can come home late at night and sit and talk with her about life unless she is drugged up cause then its useless. I love how eventhough I throw the tough questions that parents fear she still comes up with a solid answer. I love how she is involved with the city and tries to help out with all she can. I love how she has a sister that is just like her (LM) who I am always excited to see when she is over because she has as much enthusiasm as everyone else int he family, and she also tolerates my ninja moves. They both have creative minds and know how to have fun! But most of all I love her because she is my mom.

The other joy in my life is now dead but I'm not feeling as much remorse as I thought I would when Lightning my dog was put down. He had a cancerous tumor the size of my fist on right leg. But even with that lump he still found joy playing with a ball every once and awhile. I still remember the Christmas Eve day that we got Lightning, I could only think to myself that this was one of the best presents that I have ever got for Christmas. Through the many many years we had him, he brought happiness to all of us through playing catch, or going on walks. Past few years of his life he became fat and old but still had the same excitement to go on walks whenever I put on my headset at night. He was the one who walked with me at night while I thought about my problems. (My Hero by the foo fighters just started playing on my zune and I think I shed a tear) There was rarely a day that would pass that I did not take him on walk. and every once and awhile he would come cuddle with me in bed, which would help me sleep at night because he was warm and soft. We took him on lots of vacations and it was always an adventure to bring him along to see what little creature he would chase. I know if he was still alive he would be in pain from Mt. Glutaous Maximus, and he's in a better place now. About a 2 years ago I thought it would be a great idea to give him some company, which didn't work out very well but the few months that we had Roxy were joy even if it was tough training a puppy. But we now know that puppies aren't something that we can have just cause no one has time to train the little terrors. Eventhough she was a little monster, I was always excited to come home from school and play with her because she always had the energy that I loved in puppies she was just so small and cute and her breed is my favorite type of breed border coli. It took alittle getting used to but lightning got along with her somewhat, there were times that she got alittle out of hand and thats one of the reasons we had to get rid of her. But those months that we had her were pure joy and fun.
Thats about all I can think about that have helped me through lifes little troubles. From a cute 2 year old baby that has loads of energy everytime he comes over to a little black puppy that would love to wrestle with me everytime I came home. Everyone and thing that I talked about I think about everyday.
Thank you Tyler: for being lifes little angel and bringing joy to everyone around you.
Thank you Aaliyah for having one of the cutest baby smiles ever "the smile that makes everyone smile"
Thank you Liz: For working so hard for everyone in the family and helping us get through life's little problems, and making some of the best monday breakfasts. Also having one of the coolest husbands that we always enjoy inviting to our outdoor events.
Thank you Becka: for being the sister that always loves to hang out and talk about life, your the one that I compare myself to when it comes to problems with school, we are the only ones in college, also thank you for increasing my taste in music.
Thank you Alex: for being my little wannabe ninja sister its always fun to have compition.
Thank you Courtney: for being a mini dad and trying to get us all to our events ontime.
Thank you Dad: for being old and still doing the things that some young dads have problems with and teaching me all of the things you have learned throughout the years. I'm always happy to come out and help with a project.
Thank you Mom: for being a role model to all your children, and helping them cope with life, thank you for all the clothes you made us, thank you for all the big talks you had with us, thank you for putting a smile on your face even when we all are little demon children.
Thank you LM: for being one of the best aunts in the whole world, its always fun to talk to you when you are over, and "Scott Warren Downard So Help Me!" never gets old.
Thank you lightning & roxy: for being my little cuddle bugs at night especially when I have had a hard day snuging up to a warm dog is always helpful.

There are many more adventures to come and I will be excited to be there for them all.

4 comments:

Lovely Lizzy said...

Ahh. I don't really expect to cry when I read blogs, but that was fantastic, you can blog forever. Happy Birthday too. I missed making it over to say that, and was even lame enough not to text it back when you were thinking of gifts for other people. I think that in your list you forgot what a critical part you are to our family. Mom covered it pretty good, but you really are the simple joy in our life. Sort of like the way you describe Tyler, but bigger. Maybe that's why he likes you so much.
That was super great and totally made my day. And made me cry, which I can actually enjoy doing when it's tears like that.
You made my day, also your calling in life.
I love you!

LM said...

Okay, When you talk nice I want to just squish your cheeks and take you home with me...then I think of the python squeeze... You are a great guy! It is hard to believe that you are 20 years old! I hope you had a happy birthday! I totally agree with everything you said about your family, but you forgot to mention that your mom is so easy going because she has NO SPINE! :)

Becka said...

Oh Scotty, you made me shed tears, but that was wonderful. We do have a pretty awesome family. Some few fantastic things about you: you've evolved a great music taste, you can hike without complaining, you have killer photography skills and fantastic teeth, and you're tons of fun. We must bond again soon, concert or something.

Marf said...

You made me cry. Thank you for being an awesome son. I could live without getting hit with tomatoes...and whatever is sitting on the banister, but I love you love you love you...so I guess I will get used to having things thrown at me because I wouldn't change one single thing about you. Happy Happy Birthday. I think our entire family is perfect and you put that to words beautifully.